Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pretty Old, but Very Pretty: Cuzco, Peru



I landed in this delightful city in mid-September, and was immediately enchanted. One word ran through my mind: Charming, charming, charming.

It helps immensely that many of the winding stone streets are too small for cars - I guess the Incans didn't have the foresight to envision dirty, honking, smelly, polluting, dangerous motorized vehicles destroying the community. Too bad!

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of roads that cars can use, and they do. But one can wander all over the San Blas district, for example, and never see one car or truck. Or the street I live on, Pumacuerco, which means "Spine of the Puma". Not a lot of cars attempt this road, as it goes more or less straight up. I guess the puma in question is on his hind feet...


The first photo is up my

street, the next here is down the street. Climbing home is no small feat... Anyway, it's up or down in almost any direction...

And so, I've been wandering the streets, taking photos like a tourist,


running into the local wildlife,

not to mention llamas and alpacas, which I know are different. I just don't recall which is which...



I'm having a good time here in Cusco, taking Spanish lessons and preparing for my trip to Machu Picchu and other ancient architectural marvels. I'll upload more pics here, and in my next post!



No comments:

Post a Comment